Monday, June 30, 2008

Laundry, Laundry and more laundry...

I didn't think it possible but boy has the laundry increased with this little guy. :) We were making another batch of laundry soap and I got to thinking I should share this recipe. It really helps to cut down on costs. Thank you Allison for the dry measurements, I have been playing with the recipe I had and it really helped. This cleans great now (except when I forget to pretreat the chocolate stains) ;D

Homemade Laundry Soap
1 Bar Fels Naptha Soap (we have found it at Maceys or King Soopers, laundry section)
3 Cups Washing Soda
3 Cups Borax
Hot Water
5 Gallon bucket

Grate your bar of Fels Naptha into a saucepan, add 3-4 cups very hot tap water. Cook on low, low-med heat, stirring until it is all dissolved.

When it is almost done, prepare the bucket by filling 3/4 full with your hottest tap water. Add the Borax and Washing Soda, stir until dissolved. Then add the saucepan of Fels Naptha. Stir and set aside to cool.

We keep a big spatula near the bucket, you will need to stir before each use. Use 1 cup per load (or more if they are really soiled).

6 comments:

PML said...

Very interesting. Once I tried to make some laundry soap, but it didn't have some of the things you use. Perhaps I shall try it again. And happy laundering!

Elise and Dan said...

WOW! I had no clue that you could make your own laundry soap! You are so smart and talented! So, does it smell good, and really clean well? I can't stand it when soap makes the clothes kinda stiff! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm so excited about it!

Unknown said...

Elise, the clothes don't actually smell like anything once they are washed. I have heard you can add lavender essential oils to it, I just have never tried. I think the clothes are soft too. I have a friend that adds some vinegar in a downy ball that softens her towels if you do need it.

Anonymous said...

Lands! You make your own laundry soap. You are way ahead of me in the achievement department. I can barely get my laundry done let alone make my own soap for it. Way to go and good luck with the increased laundry!

Audrey said...

Wow is right!! I am with Shalyce... I barely get mine done let alone make my own soap! Yet another reason you amaze me!
Guess what... I worked for my mom today and sold one of you bracelets! It made me miss you guys!

... said...

You are the most amazing mom ever! Homemade laundry soap? Officially jealous. I can't believe you guys have another baby. So great!